Sunday 19 February 2012

THIS STUFF SMELLS BAD . . . . "VIDEO PROMO" FOR THE SPORTSTER SEVENTY TWO MODEL . . . IT'S 'MELROSE PLACE' MEETS NICKLEBACK ON TWO WHEELS . . . WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE CLOWNS SELLING . . . IS THIS 'CAMPAIGN' ORCHESTRATED BY 'VOGUE' . . . IS THE MOTOR COMPANY IN LEAGUE WITH 'GAP' . . . . I KNOW I GAVE A POSITIVE ENDORSEMENT OF THE '72 A WHILE BACK BUT I DON'T CONDONE THIS SANITISED, STERILISED, YUPPYISED, FASHION HOUSE, FAUX BIKER EXERCISE IN VISUAL MASTURBATION . . . . HEY KIDS, IF YOU OR YOUR DADDY CAN AFFORD TO BUY ONE OF THESE, ALL GOOD, BUT DON'T BUY INTO THE 'TOTAL PACKAGE, LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER' CORPORATE BULLSHIT TRIP !!!! I ALMOST REGRET BEING POSITIVE ABOUT IT NOW . . . IT'S THE '48 CAPER ALL OVER AGAIN . . . . FUUUUUCCCCKKK !!! - YouTube

YES, I DID WRITE A MODERATELY POSITIVE REVIEW OF HARLEY'S 'NEW' RELEASE SKIRTY, IT IS WHAT IT IS, I DID MY BEST NOT TO LET PERSONAL BIAS GET IN THE WAY, AFTERALL, I HAD GOT MYSELF A '48 WHEN IT HIT THE BAR AND SHIELD'S FASHION WAREHOUSES, I WAS, BY MY OWN ADMISSION, GUILTY AS CHARGED . . . NO DRAMA, I STILL STAND BY MY REASONS FOR PURCHASING IT RELATIVE TO ALL OTHER, WELL CONSIDERED, AVAILABLE OPTIONS . . . . BUT NOW, NOW I SEE THE '72's ACCOMPANYING PROMO CLIP AND, JUST AS I DID WITH THE '48 . . . I WANT TO SPEW MY BREAKFAST ALL OVER THEIR MARKETING DEPARTMENT . . . THIS KIND OF SHIT MAKES ME ILL !!!!!!

I love bikes generally, particularly old, 'classic' or 'traditional' if you will, Pommy and Yankee things, always have and always will, it's a matter of personal preference and that is mine. I harbour no regrets about having bought a brand new, so called 'custom', factory skirtster as my daily ride, I couldn't give a rat's arse about the 'stigma' some have about it . . . I wanted near as possible complete reliability and functionality without getting one of the more popular 'commuter' orientated choices avilable to me and I'm fucking glad I did to this day . . .

However . . . I remember not long after slapping down my deposit for the little fucker, I came across the 'Factory' campaign clip for it on PooTube, replete with hideously purile soundtrack, after having sat there and watched it from go to fucking woeful I almost marched my old bones down to the dealer and asked for my hard earned back. But I got the fuck over it, steeled myself for the snide comments of days to come and eagerly waited for four months for it to arrive.

My gripe with the pretty, moving picture thing that goes with the '72, just as the sacharine sweet shit that they released for the '48, is that it's promoting this totally manufactured, fake grit, fashion alligned, instant lifestyle, too cool bullshit that many of us find absofuckinglutely nauseating . . . . the same shit you see in all the fashion glossies, on telly, at the mall, everywhere. Buy this product and you can now be this . . . . buying the bike or the shoes or the whatever the fuck it is, is not sufficient, you just 'have to have the complete look', the jacket, the tee, the boots, the ring, the fucking toilet paper and more corrupt still . . . the attendant oh so cool friends, perfect sunrises every morning and the perfect pre-party sunset in the evening - FUCK OFF HARLEY, FUCK OFF FASHIONISTAS !!!

It's the same as just about every other 'industry' these days, skating, surfing, hot rodding, music, the whole fucking lot . . . clever dick marketing gurus and smalmy, slimey, clever dick, big dollar ads killing what was once the domain of people who'd committed themselves and pledged their allegience to the pursuit of passions that were central and pivotal to their very existence, these are now called 'lifestyle choices' . . . the big, faceless corporate clans lay it all out for you, just tick the box and you're in like Errol the Axeman . . . no prior history required, no lifelong obssession for your self determined madness/passion, just trot on down to the pedaller/dealer/mall to get your instant fix and hey prattso . . . you're in !!!! Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just take up the fucking crack pipe . . . . just wait til 'they' figure out an upside to selling that 'lifestyle choice' . . . .

Like I said last time, if you reckon the '72 is for you, cool, fair enough choice, not everybody has the ability or connections to assemble their own personal, one off, custom dream machine, especially if you're turned on by the subliminal intent of the clip featured here, but, if you're genuine and want no more than to enjoy riding your own piece of the rapidly vanishing All American Legend . . . do that, just that, but don't, whatever you do, DON'T get sucked into the peripheral 'company branded' lifestyle makeover crap . . . find your own way, be your own person, buy the bike then walk away from the Company Merchandise Magnet while you can . . . DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE !!!!

***** click on the link below or on post diatribe, grab yourself a bucket, sit back and 'enjoy' the Harley 'How to' video on Lifestyle Packaging Placement . . . . bleeeeccchhhh !!!!
SPORTSTER SEVENTY-TWO™ HARLEY-DAVIDSON 72 NEW MODEL - YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment