Friday 13 January 2012

HONDA 250 RC166 - ONE SERIOUSLY BEAUTIFUL BIT OF KIT !!!

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVE ROAD RACERS, DEFINITELY TOP THREE, AND STILL AN ENGINEERING AND MECHANICAL MARVEL FIFTY YEARS DOWN THE TRACK !!!

THANKS TO "RETURN OF THE CAFE RACERS" FOR THE ARTICLE . . . AWESOME !!

The RC 166 is one hell of a thing, blew minds and reputations back in the day, especially at the Isle of Man . . . I remember back in '90 or '91 my soon to be business partner and classic bike Uber Guru, Dave Blomfield, played me a tape recording from the BBC featuring a very proper English voice commentator describing the Honda as it screamed down the hill, going down through the gears . . . . what a fucking noise, I was gobsmacked, I'd seen photos of it and its bigger brother but never heard it in anger, WOW !!!
I chased down all the info I could on this minature monster  . . . the more I uncovered, the more I fell in love them. As you can imagine, 250 divided by six equals . . . . fucking miniscule everything, valves, springs, slugs, rods, cranks, cams, the whole shabang was micro engineering at it most supreme, the exact reverse of big block drag racing but just as miraculous for simply holding together and winning the fight against the immutable laws of physics . . .
Anyways, take a look through one of the most complete insights on this insane piece of motorcycling history [courtesy of the knowledgable folk at ROTCR] and gain an appreciation for this brilliant little screamer . . .
****NOTE THE SIZE OF THE ROD AND PISTON ASSY . . . CUTE OR WHAT ???
[CLICK ON LINK BENEATH THIS LINE OR HIT POST TITLE . . . ENJOY]
Sweet sounding Honda Six ~ Return of the Cafe Racers

No comments:

Post a Comment