Tuesday 14 February 2012

INDIAN LARRY, DAVID SNOW, GREASY KULTURE, HB LEWIS AND A HUGE SURPRISE FOR AN UNKNOWING WHITELINEPSYCHO . . . . LEARNING NEW STUFF IS WHAT MAKES THIS BLOG FOLLOWING CAPER SO WORTHWHILE !!!

RECIEVED MY ISSUE OF GKM YESTERDAY AND WENT STRAIGHT TO DAVID SNOW'S ARTICLE RECOLLECTING THE LEGEND SHOOT FOR INDIAN LARRY'S COVER OF IRON HORSE OF THE MID NINETIES, I CERTAINLY DIDN'T REALISE THE SIGNIFICANCE OF IT AT THE TIME, I WAS HEAVILY INTO BRIT BIKES, I DUG GOOD CHOPS BUT NOT THE KIND MOST PEOPLE WERE PUTTIN TOGETHER OUT HERE . . . I CAN DEFINITELY RECALL THE BIKE, IT STOOD OUT FROM THE CROWD LIKE DOG'S BALLS, HOWEVER, BEYOND THAT . . . NADA . . .

THE INTRIGUE, THE INSIDER INFO, THE INDIAN LARRY MYSTERY AND SO MUCH MORE ALL TOLD BY DAVID SNOW HIMSELF . . . A FUCKING GREAT READ AND A REAL INSIGHT INTO THE COMPLEXITIES OF NOT ONLY THE BEHIND THE COVER SHIT AT THE MAG ITSELF, BUT A BIT OF A SNIPPET INTO THE ENIGMA THAT WAS INDIAN LARRY . . . ESPECIALLY PRE 'BUILD OFF' MADNESS . . . READ IT ALL IN THE NEW EDITION OF GKM !!!

The article got me thinking about many things related to Larry, Psycho Cycles, Steg [who I mentioned in a blog a few weeks back], English Don and some wicked caricature paintings by one HB Lewis that were published in Iron Horse in the late '80's . . . . I never saw them then but I do recall sighting them a few of them on the wall at Hi-Rise Motorcycles in the early '90's and thinking they were really very cool, I didn't know one of them was in fact a depiction of Indian Larry, as many of you have known for years and years . . . . . .

Fast forward to a few years ago . . . doing the non interactive blog trolling thing that was my modus oparendii until only two or so months ago, I come across a post on someones blog [had a feeling it may've been Noot's but couldn't locate them on his blog an hour ago so I used the quartet of shots from GKM] featuring the very illustration . . . . that's when I found out it was Larry on the chop, tearing up the sidewalk . . . . obviously by this stage he had gone to hang out at the big garage in the sky . . . .

The real surprise for me came only tonight. As I said, I knew sweet fuck all about not only the subject matter until relatively recently and even less about the artist, HB Lewis . . . until tonight. I got curious and decided to go the Google on Mr Lewis . . . . Holy Insanely Talented Artists Batman !!!!! Again, many of you guys out there, especially crew like Noot, Irish Rich and probably more than half the guys whose blogs I now officially follow, realised this but to me it's a revelation . . . turns out the dude can not only turn out some exceptional biker art but has been a major part of half of my daughter's favourite cartoon movies, has illustrated and written really cool, cute childrens books and so, so, so much more . . . . WOW !!!!

This entire blogging thing has been such a fulfilling and educational experience for me, so much info I've picked up by actually interacting rather than just 'observing' in a totally detatched manner as I used to, I make mistakes, assume the wrong thing, ask dumb questions, but wtf, it's all borne of a desire to learn and add to my life's devotion to the cult of everything motorcycling . . . cheers to all of you who inspire me to dig deeper in search of more knowledge and a more complete understanding of all the shit I love so much . . . it's a genuine rush !!!

**** Check out the HB Lewis website to see the incredibly diverse depth and breadth of his work and click on the link below or on the post title to see four of Lewis' best pieces that were first published in Iron Horse then featured again buy the GKM boys . . . enjoy it !!!
Greasy Art

1 comment:

  1. ey up whitey, thank's for you're comment's on the blog mate, much appreciated, like i said before, i'm just dicking about and having some fun building bikes in the shed, mate, i feel i must comment on your blog, it goes from strength to strngth everyday, your writing is entertaining, intelligent and laugh-out-loud funny, you will go viral once a few more people find you and so you should mate, our old friend from blogmetric or whatever it's called, mr tent wrecker can't hold a candle to you mate, send him a link to the whiteline blog and show the twat how it should be done! peace out my arse! ta-ta for now, the lovey.

    ReplyDelete