Sunday 18 March 2012

BUBBLE VISOR : CAGIVA/DUCATI 1986 . . . . FILE UNDER "DIDN'T HAVE A BLOODY CLUE" . . . . OR . . . . . . . . . . . . "HOLY GORGEOUS THING BATMAN !!!!! A PERFECT FUCKING BIKE !!!!!" . . . . POSSIBLY THE COOLEST LOOKIN DUKE I'VE EVER SEEN . . . . INCLUDING THE IMOLA WINNING/ 'SMART BIKE' . . . . SCHMART !!! VEE DON'T 'IMOLA' AROUND HERE !!!! . . . .

"BUBBLE VISOR" BLOG JUST PUT THIS ONE UP AND WHAT A TOTAL KILLER IT IS . . . . AND UNTIL TWENTY MINUTES AGO, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT EXISTED  . . . WOW !!!!

I've always had the horn for a good many of Bologna's finest, from the early angular tanked desmo singles, round case 750's, [particularly the black case models] 900 SS's, 916's, even some of those late eighties Paso's, and my personal fave, the stunning "Smart Bike" that Paul Smart won Imola on nearly forty years ago . . . . one of my top ten road racing guns of all time . . . . stylistically and aesthetically perfect in my eyes, tough, but in Raquel Welch in "1 Million Years B.C" kinda way . . . well, I've now seen another Bologna bomber that equals it . . . tough, but in a Steve McQueen in "Le Mans" kinda way . . . .

Until tonight, I had no idea that this little fucker even existed, then again, if it had been in the middle eighties, being constantly on the road playing music and enjoying all the attendent lurks and perks, I had no idea lots of shit existed, especially reality . . . . when I checked this out on "Buble Visor" tonight, my gast was well and truly flabbered, I just stared and stared, trying to take in all of it's marvelously magnificent minimalism.

Keep in mind that the stock 650 Pantah was entry level into the Duke stable, I'm fairly certain that the parallel twin 500 had ceased production by this stage, and was pretty much, correct me if I'm wrong, looked down upon by the hardcore 750, 900, 860cc riding Ducatisti/Ducatista/Ducatisto . . . whatever you dudes call yourselves plurally . . . . they were moderately bland to look at, were less than powerful and just weren't really . . . . what's the word . . . . . well . . . . . . cool.

So, to come across this variant was a revelation in Latin for me . . . . purposeful in the absolute extreme, more valid and visually relevant now than it was over a quarter of a century ago when it was first rolled out of the Barn in Bologna . . . .

Sometimes, only sometimes, in the world of design, doesn't matter whether it's motorcycles or mops, a thing is so well thought out and put together and so utterly perfect, there is nothing, not a single fucking thing, that anyone could to it that would "improve", rather than simply "alter", it's almost "Zen" like state of aesthetically holistic perfection . . . . this Ducati 650 is such a thing !!!!

***** Go to "Bubble Visor Blog" and read the reprinted article by clicking on the link below or by clicking on the post title.
bubble visor: Cagiva Ducati

No comments:

Post a Comment