Saturday 7 April 2012

JOE COCKER "CRY ME A RIVER" 1970 FROM 'MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN' . . . . FROM ONE GREAT LIVE GIG TO ANOTHER, THIS WAS THE TOUR THAT FULLY BROKE THE STATES WIDE OPEN FOR THE MAN FROM SHEFFIELD . . . . IT WAS ALSO THE FIRST TIME I TWEAKED THAT ROCK+ROLL WAS THE MUSIC OF THE DEVIL . . . . AT LEAST IN MOTHER'S EYES AND EARS !!!!

I can vividly remember coming home from rugby on a cold as hell Canberra morning in 1971 and turning on the telly to try and sneak a look at GTK, ['Get To Know' was Aussie's hippest music show] Cocker was touring and had just been busted for possession of the evil green weed in Adelaide . . . .


Anyway . . . . mum was in the kitchen preparing lunch when this very clip came on, she must've heard the words 'Joe Cocker' and guessed the rest upon hearing the tune . . . . she came screaming into the living room yelling 'turn it off, get that thing off now ! I'll have no druggies in this house on my television !!' . . . so the first forty five seconds was all I got to see until about three years later at boarding school.

What did stick with me was the 'nature' of the performance, the passion, the freedom, the total lack of restraint, the complete absence of any pretension . . . . not a thing has changed, this tune, this performance, this bloke, this band . . . . from beginning to end, especially Leon counting back in, still makes the hair on the tip of my penis stand to attention . . . . or something like that.

Everyone on that stage realises they are part of something truly special, a genuine moment in time that will be recounted and recalled forever . . . . just dig the way the singers and players are all looking at Cocker, at each other . . . . they 'knew it' . . . . this was the real deal !!! So, come on and cry me a fucking river !!!!

2 comments:

  1. If Janice Peterson ever returns my messages, this is what I'll direct her to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a fuckin crack up home boooouy !!! If it be feelin good, do dat sheeet, dats what I be sayin . . . I'll dig up some mo of my gangsta goo spesh for you bro . . . totally in da skreet !!!

      Delete