Monday 11 June 2012

"DANIEL SIMPSON DAY . . . . HAS NO GRADE POINT AVERAGE, ALL COURSES INCOMPLETE" . . . . HMMMMM, THAT RINGS TRUE IN THIS BLOKE'S EARS . . . . I CAN'T BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW SIGNIFICANT THIS FILM IS IN MY LIFE . . . . D-DAY WAS THE MAN FOR ME, FROM HIS ENTRANCE TO HIS EXIT . . . . 'WHEREABOUTS UNKNOWN', LOVED IT THEN AS NOW.

'ANIMAL HOUSE' IS STILL MY MOST BELOVED CINEMATIC MEMORY, THERE'S MANY OTHER FLICKS THAT I DIG BUT THIS MONUMENTAL ODE TO COLLEGE STUPIDITY, DISREGARD FOR AUTHORITY AND MUCH MORE WOULD HAVE TO BE MY NUMBER 1.

First saw it on Sunday night the 24th of February 1980 at Emmanuel College, University of Qld, it was the first night of 'O Week', and, as it turns out, it was to be a precursing metaphor for the next thirty years of my life . . . . beside the point . . . . from the moment that D-Day rode his bike up the stairs of Delta House, swilled his beer then played the 'William Tell Overture' on his throat with his fingers, he was 'the man' in my book, his disinterest in virtually everything else except partying, chaos, anarchy, bikes and cars struck a chord that still resonates deep within my stupid, childish mind to this day.

Nothing to be nessesarily proud of I suppose, but that's how it is, the spirit of going after only those things that are of importance to you, following your heart and soul, not planning stuff out, letting life have its head, living totally in the now . . . . yes, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, it's been selfish in many respects, it's caused many near and dear to me considerable pain and heartache, stability was a thing I knew fuck all about nor did I care . . . . I just kinda 'knew', with some dumb, third eye perception, that everything would be apples in the end, the classic Aussie expression 'she'll be right' comes to mind . . . . and you know what ? It is.

Shit ain't 'perfect', but what is, I've never had to work for 'the man', only ever worked jobs that I like, played music for twenty five years, I sell good piss for a day gig, I've got a beautiful twelve year old daughter, an ex who at least doesn't break my balls every other day, my mum's still alive and kickin at eighty seven and I've some brilliant friends in all walks of life who I've now known for thirty years, and one best buddy who is like a brother to me . . . . I never did plan this out, it just happened, and for that I am truly thankful . . . . cheers D-Day, wherever your spirit is.

No comments:

Post a Comment