Tuesday 10 July 2012

THE IDES OF MARCH "VEHICLE" (1970) . . . . ANOTHER ALL TIME BALL TEARING SOUL TRACK FROM THE DIM, DISTANT PAST . . . . WHAT A MAGNIFICENT NOISE, NOTHIN LIKE YOUR 'AVERAGE WHITE BAND' OF THE TIME . . . . PLUS SOME KILLER VISUALS OF A PAIR OF CELLULOID FOUR WHEEL ICONS FROM "AMERICAN GRAFFITI"

When you're a young kid, shit is easily misinterpreted, I first heard this in primary school at about the same time I became aware of 'Blood, Sweat and Tears' and 'Chicago', in fact, I thought it was BS+T until my super cool older next door neighbour and Norton Commando owner, Gary Carter, whose mind warping record collection I had complete access to, learned me different . . . . I was also pretty wigged out to discover the vocalist wasn't a black dude, nor was he David Clayton Thomas, we didn't have music channels, PooTube, stacks of stuff in the paper devoted to popular culture, plus, my mum hated it all, it was the 'Devils Work', the more she poured scorn on it, like motorcycles and fast cars, the more I gravitated towards it . . . . it irked me but I knew she was doin what her honest, old school Christian heart believed to be right, it was simply a double generation gap . . . . love ya mum !!!!

Totally formative times, the early '70's, for this suburban white boy, music, anything motorised, Mad magazines, skateboards, Hot Wheels, clothing, but particularly music, songs like this genuinely 'moved' me, gave me some bizarre rush I couldn't even fathom . . . . which now, forty and more years later, I can identify as the kickarse 'soul' power thing of it all, compared to the typical four or five piece rock and roll stuff, this shit had depth and richness that outweighed most rock stuff by tons . . . . the same with funk, R+B, cool jazz and even 'good' disco, I love my rock and roll like crazy but kit like The Ides of March with its growling, sexually charged vocals, blaring, stabbing horns, throbbing rhythm section and all out oomph to this day really gives me the horn, deep, deep, down in ma belly . . . . c'mon, get some soul into ya homies !!!!



***** MUCH SOUL LOVE TO 'THEBACMASTER' FOR THE POOTUBE POST AND THE BITCHIN CLIP . . . . TOO GOOD DUDE !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment