Friday 14 September 2012

I KNOW IT'S AS UNFASHIONABLE AS IT'S UNCOOL IN THE EYES OF MANY . . . . AND I DON'T WANT TO LABOUR THE POINT . . . . BUT THE MORE I GO CREEPIN AND A'PEEPIN AT ALL THE OPTIONS FOR THE HARDTAILING OF THE SHOVEL . . . . THE MORE I HONESTLY FIND THIS ONE FUCKING COOL . . . . I DIG THE WAY IT SITS AGAINST THE LINE OF THE STOCK FRAME . . . . AND IT'S SO COMPACT AND TIGHT.

My well intentioned and learned brotherman is doing his best to steer me in the direction of the traditional process of welding/fabbing a hardtail for Project Shoveller, up until very recently it was the only possible course of action I would've considered, Barse's photomentary almost brought me back to that initial belief, but, and it's a big-arsed butt at that . . . . my Kiwi connection had suggested having a gander at the bolt on job available from Papa Clutch, at first I laughed and said 'fuck off', I mean every single bolt on job I've ever seen has been uglier than a hat full of arseholes, gammy, outta whack, hideous broken lines, no way was I gonna turn my tidy old shovel into an aesthetic chunder bucket !!!
However, I must admit, that after nearly two weeks spent checking out as many examples of scoots with the Papa Clutch bolt on kit attached, and other uglier than shit on a stick versions, I have to say I'm actually pretty much in love with it as an aesthetic exercise and I can't see me turning back . . . . I mean, I'm a bloke who forked out the cashola for a Forty Eight for fuck's sake, knowing full well the derision and scorn that would be forthcoming . . . . with many things in life I can be swayed by input from those whose opinions I value and respect, yes Lovey, that's you in this specific instance, but every now and again I just get this feeling that my way will be more conducive to what is my own 'vision splendid'.

To be perfectly frank, if there is one point on many traditionally fabricated rigids that has always been a bit of a bone of contention for me, it's that many of them just look too bloody long and often times, a bit like the varietal definition of average Cabernet Sauvignon, look like they have a hole in the guts . . . . sure, the Papa Clutch bolt on kit doesn't perfectly flow in a lineal sense from the backbone of the factory frame, but the angle at which it falls away from it is something that seriously gives me the horn and, more crucially, it seems to really tighten up the wheelbase . . . . anyhoo, I guess it's all down to personal preference, and the fact I really don't fancy fucking with the original frame, but without being 110% committed, I think I'm pretty close to making a decision that I'll be well and truly happy with . . . . that being said, and allowing for my overall chopper naiivite on the practical side, big ups and respect to Lovey especially, and his mate Barse at ABK blog, for caring enough to offer their experience and opinions . . . . it has not been taken lightly, lads . . . . [get it ???]

No comments:

Post a Comment