Friday 23 November 2012

"THE MAGIC ROUNDABOUT - ORIGINAL BBC 1970's EPISODE" . . . . I DON'T KNOW IF THIS SERIES WAS EVER SCREENED IN THE STATES BUT FOR ANYBODY MY AGE FROM THE UK, AUSSIE OR NZ THE 'MAGIC ROUNDABOUT' WAS A STAPLE OF VERY EARLY CHILDHOOD . . . . RUMOURS AND URBAN MYTH ABOUT THE WRITERS BEING WHACKED OFF THEIR TITS ON ACID ARE RIFE . . . . I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IT . . . . FEELS RIGHT.

I think it was originally produced in France or at least with some sort of French connection to it, but the stuff we grew up with was voiced by Poms . . . . it was kinda like psychedelia for little kids and I was tripped out by it completely, always felt pretty fucking 'magical' actually for a three and four year old, weird shit for sure. Zebedee, the springy dude, was the coolest . . . . made "Bill and Ben" seem pretty lame . . . . whoever said nothing good ever came from drug abuse ???

3 comments:

  1. I always thought it was french. Pollux the dog used to speak with an english accent.
    I ve been raised watching this tv youth programs, that explain a lot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is new to me...reminds me of what a good friend of mine and I have always thought...that all those old Disney animators (and others)...probably hung out at Jazz clubs and shared a little 'reefer' with their musician buddies...one of the coolest and wacky guys I ever met was Ward Kimball, a Disney animator who was father to Jiminy Cricket...among others. Ward had Locomotives in his backyard, with a little train station, complete with a spur that connected up to the local railroad tracks. He was a musician as well in the 'Firehouse 5 plus 2'. Hmmmm, I'll bet ya there might be some stuff on youtube. Nice wheelie the cow pulls on her 'Bus'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you take that tack mate . . . remember the scene in Dumbo with the champagne induced hallucinations after which a thousand 'Pink Elephant' bars sprang up all over the world . . . not to mention so many out there moments in cartoon history, I reckon you're all over it like a rash my man . . . I think Walt Kimball must be the second most famous 'toon voice after Mel Blanc, must be another thirty beside Mr Cricket he came up with . . . I think historically that many 'artistes' of all persuasions kept the company of kindred spirits after hours and music, epsecially during the cool, bebop and hard bop period was a kind of zenith not even the rock generation came near, they all woulda had their copies of 'On the Road' in their back pocket too no doubt . . . livin the life for shoower !!!

      Delete