Tuesday 8 January 2013

NOTE TO WES - "PROGRESS REPORT ON WILLIS BOLT SWAP" . . . . WHEN I FIRST SWAPPED THE OLD, MODDED ZENITH/BREATHER SET-UP FOR THE DELIGHTFULLY SIMPLE BCM FILTER AND WILLIS BOLTS THERE WAS A DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY ABOUT HOW IT ALL WOULD GO ABOUT DOING ITS JOB . . . . NOW, AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS OF USUAL HARD FLOGGING, THE REPORT IS IN . . . . HUNKY BLOODY DORY !!

Yes indeedly my fine, bearded, raccoon loving friend, all seems to be perfectly functional. There is no sign of any untoward movement, flexing or stress at the throttle body side of things, no loosening of bolts or even a need to re-tension the little fuckers after getting it up to temperature in the first couple of weeks, it's all just sitting there doing the job in its beautifully understated, minimalistic way. The totally exposed element still has me a little worried in the rain but no sign of breaking down or faltering under revs . . . . yet . . . . ha, ha, ha !!

As for Kim's gorgeous Willis bolts, these sexy little things are also apparently doing their bit with utterly efficient aplomb. As we knew and suspected, the fact that the scavenging/breather runner is no longer attached there is a slight degree of increase in oil usage now that all the fumes and vapours aren't being fed directly back into the original air mix/filterbox set-up but there is no weeping or leaking from the business of the Willis bolts, either through the element or at the head/bolt faces . . . . I have had the micro elements out once for a bath and cleanup and there was no undue buildup of oil in them at all, so, all things considered mate, I reckon the entire sheboinker at this stage rates a big fat thumb in the bum for fit, finish and effectiveness . . . . mind you, I'm not a mechanic's scrotum but I've seen enough over the last thirty odd years to have a decently educated guess.

So big fella, if you or anybody else out there are on the hunt for a replacement for your stock HD fuelie airfilter/breather shitfight, get onto Kim Boyle and hook yourself up with this tasty trio of terrifically tidy two wheeled tidbits . . . . Boyle Custom Moto, fuck yeah !!!

6 comments:

  1. Looks good. Do they make a stock HD carb version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mate, indeed he does, I think that would be the cv version, also does em for Super E and B from what I can recall, check it out at BCM in my sidebar, immaculate shit from a really switched on dude, cheers Herm.

      Delete
  2. Awesome mate!! I'm really impressed with those breather bolts! So nice and clean looking, and the only ones I've seen that actually perform as advertised and don't spew oil all over your machine. As for the unsupported throttle body, I hope your luck continues. The thought still makes me a little uneasy. I hope the proverbial chickens haven't been prematurely counted. Don't think for a second that you'll get away with that on project shoveler! When you get ready to do the shovel let me know, I have a support bracket and switch bracket for you if you'd like them. Send me a snail mail address. Man, I love that breather!!! Likely one of the nicest I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah man, no spewing whatsoever and it's not as though I'm just doodling around either so they are getting a full workout. Re the throttle body shindig, I'll be really surprised and a tad pissed if anything changes for the worse, I've checked the workshop Manuel and it shows nothing that would tend to give it a predisposition to any weakness with the minimal weight of the filter body hanging off it, if it was in any way loose it would be a different result entirely . . . so hopefully the chickens won't have crossed any bridges before they're hatched . . . and thanks so much for the kind offer on the brackets Wes, really appreciate it buddy, once the entire country has stopped self immolating and temps drop below 40c I'm gonna start Project Shoveller in earnest and all will be revealed. Enjoy the delights of the delinquent dogette, watch out for poo-bombs and stay warm mate, cheers big fella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the report from down under, i have been on the fence given the price of this beauty. Whats the typical shipping time to get something from the USA to OZ anyway, just curious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get offa that fence bud, worth every little cent, his work and commitment to quality is at the highest level . . . re the shipping, of the hundreds of items I've got from the States in the last two years since I got brave, joined the modern world and started doing business the average time with no flash postage options would be about somewhere between ten/fourteen days to three weeks and have never had a drama. Cheers mate.

      Delete