Thursday 25 April 2013

HOLY SWISS CHEESE BATMAN, WE'VE BEEN DRILLED . . . . ROSCOE'S TALENTS FOR CIRCLE WORK HAS YIELDED A PRETTY TIDY RESULT ON THE OUTPUT PULLEY COVER . . . . HAVING TO DRILL BETWEEN THE STRENGTHENING RIBS ON THE INSIDE OF THE THING DIDN'T ALLOW FOR A TRADITIONAL, PRETTY PATTERN . . . . THANKFULLY, I AIN'T A REAL PRETTY PATTERN KINDA DUDE . . . . SYMMETRY THROUGH ASYMMETRY, LOVE IT . . . . SO WILL THE LOCAL WALLOPERS.

I promised the local plod on one memorable roadside encounter with them nearly a year ago that I'd get the cover back on asap as they were so concerned about my well being in regards to potentially losing a leg courtesy of the exposed pulley being so capable of winding my lower limb into the rapidly spinning belt thereby tearing it off at the hip and leaving me to hop home with copious amounts of primarily arterial blood besmirching my new $500.00 selvedge biker denim, my period correct Dead Wings, not to mention the reality of fucking up the state government road itself, all because they care about me . . . . I hate rushing into shit half cocked so naturally I waited an appropriate period of time before doing a fucking thing about it, that 'thing' entailed springing into apathy and leaving it with Roscoe for six months or so as I pretty much forgot about the whole thing, which is the generally accepted modus operandi in these situations, until I was reminded of its absence once more by an unrelated orificer of the law a couple of months ago . . . . obviously I leapt into a buzz of further procrastination as life and things I really give a rat's arse about continued to get in the way of actually getting Roscoe to do the required re-engineering and myself to then nail it back on the Purple Penis. I mean, some shit simply can't be rushed, Rome wasn't built in a day apparently . . . . anyhoo, I dropped in on Roscoe during lunch today, he uncovered the cover, wiped away the dust and the cobwebs, and, in a fit of crazy, whirling dervish-like action, I proceeded to get the long absent cover re-installed in its rightful position. Now I can ride, safe in the knowledge that my leg is safe from flesh and sinew shredding dismemberment, and all thanks to the love of the local fuzz . . . . bless their cotton socks.

9 comments:

  1. I like to add smaller holes with them to help blend them in when you have to go around the ribs. It would be sweet to carry your pattern into the cam cover if you happen to have it off of there.
    There is allot of room for Swiss cheese on the back and bottom of the cam cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate the tip mate, and having just reacquainted myself with the glory of the Taint Splitter I'll whip the fucker off and do likewise, thanks for the inspiration buddy, love your work !!

      Delete
  2. Lightening holes baby!
    Must be an '04 or later with the repositioned rear master cylinder. I'm trying to figure a way to relocate on my '97 bottom feeder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedly Herm, it's a 2-10 '48, or was, just wanted my first Hoggly to be all mine and as reliable as possible given it being used so much as a work tool. I reckon the holes are worth another .000002 mile an hour.

      Delete
    2. I've ridden the rubber-mount Sporty and didn't notice a big difference in vibration, but relocating and hiding the ugly master cylinder was a big improvement.

      Delete
    3. Sadly mate, relative to a well sorted solid mount, they handle like a sponge, I've already replaced the swingarm bushes on mine, a bit like the Isolastic Nortons vs the previous models, fuck all of the rubberised versions ever handled properly until the upgrade kits became available twenty odd years ago . . . oddly, the only Sporty's I'd really ridden were a few of the 883's set up for the old 'Roaring Sporties' series in the mid nineties plus a few 1200's from around 2004/5 and they behaved with aplomb, direct, predictable and balanced . . . having come from dirty old Trumpies, I think I'd rather the vibration, it's the only downside of the bike.

      Delete
  3. You never know, Bell bottom trousers might make a comeback. That copper my have saved you from untold grief and hospital bills...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you keep inching more and more - doing what you can with what you have - reading and following and then doing what you want. Pretty cool David . . . your purple bike is famous in it's transformation to a one-of-a-kind scoot. Cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'David', wtf Noot, has my mum been writing to you ha ha ha . . . thanks mate, coming from you that means a lot, appreciated muchly man.

      Delete