Thursday 2 February 2012

"THE MOTOR COMPANY'S" BRAND SPANKIN NEW "CUSTOM" SKIRTSTER, THE '72 . . . HERE COMES ANOTHER ONE . . . CUSTOM BECAUSE THEY'RE ONLY MAKING ONE I ASSUME . . MAYBE NOT, I WOULD GUESS . . LET'S HAVE A SQUIZ THEN, SHALL WE ?? | Harley-Davidson USA

READING A POST FROM CHOPPER DAVE AND CYRIL HUZE TODAY GOT ME WANTING TO SEE MORE OF THE NEW 1200V JUST RELEASED FROM THE MOTOR COMPANY . . SO I HAD A GOOD PERVE AND THOUGHT I MIGHT SHARE A YARN AND SOME OPINIONS WITH YOU, ALRIGHT THEN, HERE WE GO . . .

I GOTTA BE CAREFUL WHAT I SAY HERE REGARDING THE NEW 1200V BECAUSE IT WAS ONLY THE BEST PART OF TWENTY MONTHS I WENT OUT AND ORDERED A THEN YET TO BE RELEASED '48 FROM A FRANKLY DISBELIEVING LONG TIME HARLEY DEVOTEE MATE OF MINE AT THE LOCAL DEALER . . .

I SAY 'DISBELIEVING' BECAUSE HE'D HEARD ME STATE FERVENTLY ON NUMEROUS OCCASIONS OVER THE PREVIOUS TWENTY YEARS THAT I'D NEVER OWN A HOGGLY AS LONG AS MY ARSE POINTS TO THE GROUND, HAVING OWNED TWO '69's AND ONE '74 BONNIE SINCE 1989, THE HYPOCRISY WASN'T LOST ON ME EITHER . . . . OH WELL, SHIT DOES HAPPEN, AS THOSE 'THEY' PEOPLE SAY !!

The fact I had visualised fully the alterations and modifications I intended to inflict upon it even before purchase, the fact it was to be an everyday ride, [I do mean everyday, 30,000 klms in thirteen months] used in lots of inner city scenarios and had to be moderately reliable, [yes it is !!] relatively nimble and possess some degree of potential for 'cool', none of that gets me off the guilty hook for buying a "Duck Custom" as my first ownership experience with the Bar and Sheild mob, all I can say is, like many of us, I've ridden since I was a kid and I've never given a fuck about others opinions, I wanted my first piece of 'nearly' Milwaulkee iron to be mine from the get go . . . anyway

Point being, I reckon for a stock, traditional styled modern bike, the new XL1200V, aka the '72, is a pretty sweet lookin bit of kit, especially after the non design team completely fucked the appearance of the old Custom by thowing the fats on it . . . I mean, for pity's sake why ?? I thought that was what the '48 was all about . . . what do I know ??

For those thinking of investing, go for it, they're relatively cheap, all the 1200's have plenty of poke, they're easy to punt around, reliable, especially with fuel injection, and they are a shitload of fun out on the road . . . yes, you'll cop some abuse and some piss taking but if you can't handle it maybe the whole scoot caper's not for you.

JUST A COUPLE OF WORDS OF WARNING BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT PRETENDING YOU'RE SONNY OR JOHNNY OR NASTY . . . BUY THE BIKE FOR WHAT IT IS, TRY NOT TO BUY INTO THE COMPANY ENDORSED LIFESTYLE, THE CORRECT BRANDED MERCHANDISE, THE ENDLESS VARIETY OF SAME/SAME/SAME ACCESSORIES, THE INK YOU NEVER HAD, THE COCKHEAD WANNABE ATTITUDE AND NOT TO FORGET THE H.O.G SYNDROME . . .

JUST GET OUT THERE AND SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF IT, FLOG THE CHRIST OUT OF THE THING AND WHEN YOU WANT TO MODIFY THE BEAST, UTILISE THE INEPENDENT GUYS OUT THERE MAKING GREAT, HANDCRAFTED BITS FOR YOUR BIKE, BE YOU, UNLESS YOU'RE A COMPLETE WANKER, DON'T BECOME JUST ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE GREAT CORPORATE HYPE-OFF . . .

***** If you want to really put me to the test and abuse me, you can check my Sportility on the fabulous Speed Merchant blog, remember, it's not, nor have I ever claimed it to be, a custom, cause it ain't . . . it's my everyday work tool and will proudly remain that way, I love it . . . . even when "Project Shoveller", my '74 FXE, is a completed, rockin and rollin CUSTOM !!! By the way the Merchant Mob do some super cool, functional shit for current model skirty's, log into their store and take a look, legit people too.

CLICK ON POST TITLE TO HAVE A COMPLETE FACTORY TOUR OF THE LITTLE MODEL, THE ALL NEW '72 . . . YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A GUMBOOT THOUGH  . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment