Wednesday 13 June 2012

BORN FREE 4 : RENE ASTENGO 'DAGO'S SPEED SHOP' . . . . ANOTHER DAY CLOSER TO THE ULTIMATE CELEBRATION OF FREEDOM THAT THIS GIG REPRESENTS . . . . ANOTHER DAY I'M FEELING GUTTED THAT I WON'T BE THERE . . . . MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH, SO CLOSE AND YET SO FUCKING FAR !!!!

I've got a long sleeve tee that one of my best buddy's brought back from the States in 1990, yeah, that long ago, it was from 'Dago Choppers' in Ocean Beach, the classic 'SS' logo on the front featured the following line, 'Blending fine art and Harley Davidsons', it's mostly holes these days but its been a faithful and trusty bit of gear for twenty years . . . .

I don't know whether Rene is related but I kind of figure that he is, maybe just a change of name and a shift in generation, [there has to be a tie in somewhere] either way, I'm not really familiar with too much of his output but I've been a fan of the Chicano style since Doug Saladino got his lowrider on the pages of Skateboarder back in the late seventies, bikes, cars . . . . I love it !!!

I wish Rene and every other builder in the BF4 fandango the very best of luck in their final, last minute endeavours as the mad scramble to complete their respective builds reaches fever pitch . . . . it has been a real thrill watching you all as things went from beginnings to near fully fledged bikes over the last few months, especially with the more recent video updates posted by Mssers Davis and Petersen on the Born Free blog, thanks a bunch for the opportunity to spy.



To all the sponsors, vendors, helpers, runners, gophers, associated crew and particularly Mike and Grant, you guys and gals are all part of something really fucking special, something unique and significant, an event so enormous in its scope that the entire custom bike world is aware of its existence . . . . the biggest, brightest and best names in the movement along with those from the outskirts and the nether regions, all brought together for one tremendous event like no other . . . . what else could you ask for if you're into choppers, bobbers, customs and completely cool out shit ??? Absolutely nothing !!!

I only wish that my plans and hopes to finally get my arse over there to witness this hellfire shebang hadn't fallen in a heap . . . . the only ray of sunshine is that the time will be spent with my beautiful daughter, and if there is one thing in my life that pales everything else into insignificance, then my darling Lizzie is that thing  . . . . you just never get that time again, as all of you with children would realise, plus, when it comes to the Freedom Fest that Born Free is all about . . . . there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment