Sunday 17 June 2012

LOS LOBOS "DON'T WORRY BABY" 1984 . . . . I USED TO FIGURE I GOT ONTO THESE DUDES EARLY IN AROUND '82 . . . . THEN I FOUND OUT THEY GOT TOGETHER IN LIKE THE MID SEVENTIES . . . . SO MUCH FOR OVERNIGHT SUCCESS STORIES . . . . SHEEEET !!!!

FILE UNDER "MORE MAJESTIC MEXICAN MUSICAL MADNESS"

Los Lobos really smoked it into the bigtime with their rendition of Richie Valenz' "La Bamba" for the 1987 biopic flick of the same name, but for me it was the full on rockin blues of 'Don't Worry Baby' out of 1984 that had me blowing my load . . . . like I said, I figured they'd been around for maybe six years or so at that stage, how wrong could a bloke be, they were formed back in the mid seventies and just kept on keepin on until they stuffed their foot in the door . . . . another excellent Chicano band remaining totally true to their Mexican roots and unafraid to imbue their musical output with the many influences from their culture, they'd just been doin it longer than I ever imagined.

Drove up to Bris Vegas to see em one night around the time of 'La Bamba', six of us in my little '71 LC GTR, scoobs, beers and the stereo blasting the entire trip, got to the gig fully vibed, not too many cars in the parking area, cool, fuck yeah, we'll get a good spot inside . . . . get out of the car, have a group piss in the bushes then wander around to the front of the pub, excellent, not many punters at all, have us a beer and then head around to the entry to go in . . . . and on one of those shitty little push the letters into the holes signboards like you find in old clubs . . . . THE MANAGEMENT REGRETS THAT THE LOS LOBOS SHOW TONIGHT IS CANCELLED . . . . we went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment