Wednesday 26 September 2012

SHIT WITH FINS IS COOL, MAGNUSON SHIT WITH FINS IS THE COOLEST . . . . I'VE BEEN MENTIONING MAGNUSON FINNED PRIMARY COVERS SINCE I STARTED THIS WHOLE BLOGVENTURE NINE MONTHS AGO . . . . ONLY EVER SAW ONE IN THE FLESH ON A PAN CHOP IN THE EARLY NINETIES, IT WAS 'THE' FINSHIZZLE . . . . I REALLY WANTED A TRUMPY VERSION, NO POINT NOW . . . . BUT A 74" FX MODEL, HELL YEAH !!!!

Mmmmmmm . . . . fins . . . . droooooollll . . . . these things have always resulted in instantaneous horn action for me, and finally I've found some pics, they just weren't around that long ago on the interweb when I was initially hunting for them, an exchange between Irish Rich and Noot sent me off for another shot and I got lucky . . . . made by Jerry Magnuson's namesake 'Magnuson Products Development', the same mob who now do superchargers, they produced these sexy, highly effective units from the mid sixties [?] into the seventies before the market fell away and the company morphed into its current guise.

I knew they made one for Trumpies as well and had searched high and low for one twenty years ago after having seen the one on a member of the Rebels M.C chop's at a show in Sydney, but in the pre global backyard community that the interweb has become, I just lucked out and forgot about it . . . . fast forward twenty or so years and I mentioned them in correspondence to Denver Dan when buying one of The Speed Merchant's finned derby covers for the Skirtster and went onto name them in a few posts early on in this blog . . . . I was beginning to think I had imagined the whole year that I first encountered it because no matter how much I searched I couldn't find any fucking evidence whatsoever, until now, so here they is !!!

Like all alloy performance parts of quality, they were way more than just beauty mods, performance was the real bottom line, those huge, deeply grooved fins actually dissipated shit loads of heat away from the primary drive gear and clutch housing and plates, in a day when any extra assistance was sorely needed prior to modern oils, kevlar/composite shit, better quality seals, yada, yada, yada . . . . it just happens that they look the absolute fucking bollocks as a bonus into the deal !! The Magnuson branded examples were also made from top quality alloy, not just some melted down pots and pans, they didn't warp or end up pissing precious bodily fluids from hairline fractures that developed with use on inferior kit. Looking at the catalogue from the time, they weren't cheap even then, but quality shit never was.

***** SO, I'M PUTTIN IT OUT THERE, IF ANYONE HAS ONE OF THESE WONDERFUL JIGGERS FLOATING AROUND TO SUIT THE EARLY 74" FX SERIES AND YOU WANT TO UNLOAD THE LI'L FUCKER . . . . DROP ME A LINE AND WE'LL HAGGLE OUT SOME SORT OF A DEAL, I'M NOT GOING TO BE SWINDLED BUT I AIN'T GONNA WANNA SCREW YOU EITHER, IT'S TOO LATE FOR THE TRUMPY BUT THE PROJECT SHOVELLER COULD BE JUST IN TIME !!!
PHOTO COURTESY OF http://www.chopcult.com 
PHOTO COURTESY OF http://www.jockeyjournal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment