Wednesday 24 October 2012

"MORE BOYLE CUSTOM MOTO QUALITY" OR "THE 'PURPLE PENIS' LOSES SOME GIRTH" . . . . ANOTHER BOX OF THE GOOD STUFF ARRIVED TODAY FROM KIM AT BCM, THE LARGER DIAMETER 'JJ' TUMBLED FINISH AIR CLEANER . . . . ONCE AGAIN, THE DUDE HAS EXCELLED HIMSELF, NOTHING SHORT OF BRILLIANT . . . . DESIGN SIMPLICITY AT ITS OPTIMUM, CLEAN, THIN AND SWEET AS A FUCKING PEACH !!!

I knocked off work a poofteenth early this arvo, couldn't wait to get home and have a fondle and then fit my new 'JJ' air cleaner to the Purple penis, hot off the plane from Kim at BCM. The same level of quality as the original Thinner Pinner I already have put aside for Project Shoveller, every aspect of the thing is executed in immaculate attention to detail, machining, fit, all of it is seamless and bang on the money . . . . I've been wanting to get rid of the old, modified cheapo Zodiac unit ever since it displaced the factory letterbox sized, double-extra ugly thing over a year ago and now the job's done, I couldn't be more stoked, I reckon it looks a treat, simple, clean and purposeful, classic lines and style . . . . Boyle Classic Moto, absofuckinglutely ??
Grabbed the tools and the two BCM Willis Bolts I'd previously purchased and hooked into ripping off the old thing, proceeded to remove the filter body and plate, breather hose, ghastly breather balance pipe, bolts and bracket all in about five minutes . . . . cleaned all the threads on the throttle body and the breather holes in the heads, a dab of Loctite on all the fasteners and attached the backing plate, Kim's bloody gorgeous, hand made Willis bolts were a tight fit but doing it bit by bit before a drop of Loctite went on got the gig done perfectly . . . . then inserted the fine, rear gauze plate followed by the sweet little Unifilter element, the front piece of gauze, popped the circlip in with my thumb, repeated the process on the other one and job's a goodun . . . . Like I said, couldn't be more fucking rapt, the thing sits nice and snug in against the throttle body and virtually under the tank, the wee Willis bolts look totally cool and the entire caper is exactly what I wanted and well beyond all expectations . . . . I love simplicity of design and quality and Kim nails it !!!

5 comments:

  1. In that set up, what supports the throttle body to preserve the intake seals? I'm not at all familiar with the late machines and how the intake is set up, but seems like you would need something to replace the support of the factory backing plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmm . . . very good question Wes, and certainly one that deserves an answer, sadly, at this time, I honestly can't supply you with one . . . mate, I assume, having not taken the time to examine the scenario, that it must be anchored to the inlet personafolding behind the body somewhere, there was no indication of any freeplay or movement once I got all breather runner and bracket off, I'll get my workshop manual tomorrow and do some research . . . was only taking the piss re 'sensitive', as I said, and from the heart, your credentials for peace, love and understanding are triple A rated in my books, big respect buddy.

      Delete
    2. The new set up looks amazing!!! I'm interested to get your review of the new breather bolts, I hope you don't get too much oil blow-by out out of them. Usually the intake clamp only compresses the intake seal onto the outside diameter of the intake and against the seal surface of the cylinder head. The seal is not really designed to support the weight of the throttle body and breather assembly. On my old trouble head, whose intake seals also will not support a load, I've installed a Short Bus Customs carb support bracket. It installs in between the intake manifold and the carb and anchors the upper engine stay. You might be able to pull off a similar set up.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Wes, I'm super stoked with it, just no frills, tight and tidy . . . just went and had a look for any signs of oil film around the mouths of the Willis bolts and dry as a nun's, hard for me to give you any really valid info as I've had so little to do with owning hogglies. Having said that, I did look long and hard at the inner surfaces of the old Zodiac jigger and they were clean as well after more than a year of hard. constant riding, kinda surprised me because she definitely uses oil. I'm off to grab the workshop manual this arvo and will research the whole thing more thoroughly but as far as I can ascertain at this point there is no slop or movement in the set up at all leading me to surmise that everything is good and firmly affixed somehow, mind you mate, I'm a furlong shot of ever claiming real mechanical/engineering competence . . . livin and learnin buddy, livin and learnin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this thread. Was hesitant about getting one of these for my EFI since I haven't seen anyone with one. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete